Monday, February 26, 2007

Officers wives are so stuck up.....

I was invited by the wife of the commanding officer of the base (that's supposed to be impressive) to go to a meeting earlier today. The wife of the chief of naval operations was visiting and wanted to meet with the spouses of different level people on base here in Lemoore. It proved to be slightly entertaining. We started talking about the air quality here and how there needs to be some kind of warning or symptom check given to families when they move in and stuff like that. The conversation then turned to the community-feel here on base. A couple women were pretty funny talking about how there was a flyer in the newspaper for a social being held for officers wives to attend. She said, "Well, just because my husband is enlisted, I can't go to this??" (She was very animated.) The CNO's wife was quick to point out the socials for enlisted wives and how officers aren't invited and so forth. She was quiet then.

This may seem kind of boring to you, but it was interesting to me. This was kind of the first time I've been in a situation where there were high level people and lower level people together. I found it interesting how unrespectful some of the wives were. None of them were really rude or anything, but they kept interrupting and stuff. I always thought that I wouldn't ever get caught up in the politics of things (for example-treating people differently who are different ranks, etc...), but I have to say I was a little intimidated by some of the people there.

There's my thought for the day. Military life is strange...........

No comments: