Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Do P.E. teachers walk different?

Okay, so it's yet another post from me. My kids are napping (rarely do they nap at the same time), so I have a few minutes to just chill. Back off.....I'm not lazy, I just really like the blogging thing.

Anyways, back to the reason I'm posting. A funny/annoying (I haven't decided how I feel about it) thing happened at Enrichment last night. All of us women had started on our valentines craft and I had gone to wash my hands. On my way back into the gym, I pass Sis. Neihus (a woman in her late 60's, kinda weird, but really nice). After I've walked past, she says my name and walks over to me. She then asks, "Are you a P.E. teacher?" I explain to her that my degree is in Physical Education and that I coached soccer for a couple years. She then says, "You look like a P.E. teacher." A little taken back, I said, "Yeah, well I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not, most people didn't like their P.E. teachers." She concluded with, "No, no. You look like a nice person." The conversation ended there. The ironic part (if I'm using the word correctly) is that I was a little offended by the question, but I am a licensed P.E. teacher. I guess what bugs me is that I saw her watch me as I walked in and then she came and talked to me. Do I walk like a P.E. teacher? How does a P.E. teacher walk? I was already feeling a little mannish (I made that word up) and the conversation didn't help much. I'll just tell myself that she noticed my super dooper toned body and my obvious coordination (with crafts??) and just sensed it. Although, I wish she had asked, "What do you do for a living?" Call me crazy, but I don't want to be the type of person who sends out a "P.E. teacher" vibe. Fit vibe, athletic vibe, sporty vibe...all good, but P.E. teacher vibe--not so great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the vibes you mentioned conclude to PE Teacher to some people. I bet she just was visiting with someone who said you liked sports, etc.

You look great. Don't be offended, choose to think it was a compliment because you are fit!

Blaine said...

I'm sure that it was because you are fit...if she is old, she doesn't understand the whole "manly" PE teacher thing, she just thinks you look really fit and figured that your education had something to do with it. You should have just told her "Are you a grandma for a living" and when she asked why you could say "Because you are really old and wrinkly, and you smell funny."

Pappy O' Daniel said...

I've been wanting to say something for years but didn't have the nerve. Now that it's out I hope we can all talk about it without feeling uncomfortable.